Friday, March 30, 2007

Respect Your Husband Like a VIP

Catchy title huh? Well, I'm not that creative. I'm on the Family Life emailing list. Today's email had a couple of great articles in them. I'll focus on one today. It's called, Woman to Woman: Respect You Husband Like a VIP.

My Knight and I have a great relationship. I'm truly blessed. Neither of us are perfect... well no one is, but we all strive to be better. That's what we are called to do. I want to be the woman God wants me to be. I want to be the wife, I was created to be for my Knight.

We got married in June of 1982. I was one week shy of being 19. Two months earlier he had turned 19. We were so young. I remember hearing how a couple has to give 100% to make it work... 50% from each spouse. Some of the articles I read and advice I got said, everything should be 50/50, like cooking or house chores. You do this and I'll do that. The problem with this way of thinking is that it leads to selfishness among other things. "Well, I did it the last time, it's your turn to do it this time."

I do things because love my Knight. I want to make his life easier, less stressful. I want to please, honor and keep him happy. God created Adam and saw that it was not good for man to be alone. He later created Eve out of Adam's rib. She was created to be his help meet (adjective).

* A little rabbit chasing: Alright, I can hear it now, but Eve sinned. She led Adam astray. Yep, she caved into temptation and so did he. We are all sinners. But that doesn't mean we can keep sinning. We have a choice. Daily, I chose to please my Lord and Savior, by obeying God and following His will for me. By doing that, I'm striving to be the best me possible. Which means, I try to be the best wife, mom, daughter, sister, friend.... I can be. Oh yeah, I in no way, shape or form can do it on my own. Self keeps popping her head in. Trying to wreck havoc. BUT!... Daily I strive to die to self.

Ok, back from chasing the rabbit. Society sees that as being a "floor mat", weak, slave and other demeaning things. Personally, I don't think of it like that. I feel great when I please my Knight. It pleases me to please him. It makes me happy to see he is happy. When I'm busy thinking about what to do to help him, it makes my life easier. How, because I'm not busy or dwelling on "me".

I often wonder why some women treat their friends better than they treat their husbands. Some are so eager to please their friends and do stuff for them. Yet when it comes to their spouse, it's different. Why?

My Knight is my best friend, my soul mate. He completes me. I can't imagine my life without him. Will I cease to exist once God calls him? No, my prayer is that I go before he does. LOL! Ok, all joking aside. No, I will be here. I will continue to strive to be the best me possible. Not just because of him, my children or anyone else. But because it's what God has called me to be.

So for now, I will continue to do the little things and yes, the big things too. Not only because I have to, but because I want to. It's all in my attitude. It all boils down to choice. I chose to be happy. To do. To love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GREAT post! It is so easy to fallinto society's view of how things should work, because it is all around us. I found it really interesting how you phrased the "self" part getting in the way. All too true. Thanks for your uplifting post.