Monday, April 16, 2007

"Do" Even When You Don't Want To

The harder it is for me to do something for him the more I want to do it. Why, because I love him. Do I do this all the time? No, but I try. Do I feel like this all the time? No, but my heart's desire it to want to be like that all the time.

If I left the things I do up to feelings, I probably wouldn't do it. Think about it. Who really "feels" like taking out the trash? Who really "feels" like filling up the gas tank? Who really "feels" like ironing or doing house chores? Who really "feels" like running errands? See what I mean? These are only the little everyday things. The same applies to the bigger things.

I think it all, like most things, comes down to choice. I chose to do because I love my Knight. Guess what, because he loves me, his heart's desire is to do for me too. Wow! Imagine that.

Without meaning to, I am a selfish creature. I don't like to think of myself this way, but it's true. I daily have to chose to die to self. By doing that, it frees me up to love others. Throughout God's Word we read, "Love your neighbor as yourself." I looked it up, it's quoted seven times. (Leviticus19:18 , Matthew 19:19, Matthew 22:39, Mark 12:31, Luke 10:27, Romans 13:9, Galatians 5:14 and James 2:8)

When I first became a Christian, I thought this scripture applied to my neighbors, friends or other people I come in contact with. Well yes, that's true. Then one day it dawned on me, "HELLO! Those I LIVE with ARE my neighbors!" They are my closest neighbors. Ah... it all made sense. These "neighbors" see the ugly in me and the not so ugly. I also see this in them. Which makes it all the harder. At the same time makes it all the sweeter.

In "doing" for others we are blessing them. Without realizing it, we get blessed in the process. I know I get this joyous, full feeling within me when I "do". There are times that I can't physically "do" but praying is certainly something I can "do" at any time.

So even when I don't want or feel like "doing", I remind myself, that it's not about me. It's all about Him who died for me. When I "do" for others, I'm "doing" for Him.

No comments: