Wednesday, November 12, 2008

In Sickness Or In Health

Twenty six years ago, my Knight and I took a vow. We were young (19 & 18). Did we really understand the vows we were making? We committed to love one another in sickness or in health. Little did we know what the future really held for us.

We have been really blessed. If I wasn't a Christian, I would say we've lived a charmed life. But I am a Christian and I know that luck has nothing to do with anything. God has everything to do with it. For that I'm thankful.

My Knight and I have always been healthy and active. We love and enjoy sports. Not just watching, but actively participating too. When we first got married, we played raquetball, tennis, worked out with weights. Through the years we've continued playing different sports. If one of us wasn't playing a sport, we would be on the sidelines cheering on. He's played basketball, football, softball and volleyball. I've played softball and volleyball. I love it when we are in the same team. We have always been very supportive of each other. He has never criticized me or belittled me. He's always been an encourager. Needless to say, I've always felt my Knight can do no wrong.

Back in 1998, I was diagnosed with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (lupus or SLE). I started having symptoms while I was pregnant in 1993. But it was a while before I was diagnosed. Mainly cause I was having so many different symtoms, it was hard to pinpoint what was the culprit. Once I was diagnosed, it was hard to accept, so I went through a denial stage. But my Knight was unbelievably supportive. He read everything he could, so we could understand what it was all about. He ROCKS!

In the fall of 2003, I was diagnosed with Chiari Malformation II and Hydrocephalus. My brain had herniated 12mm down into my spinal canal. I had a shunt installed to help with the hydrocephalus. Once I was stable enough from the shunt surgery (6 months later), I had the decompression surgery. There is no cure for chiari, but the surgery helps alleviate the symptoms. Recovery from the surgeries was long. My Knight and my family were awesome. But I have to honestly say, I have no recollection of what happened during my recovery. I know that I couldn't of done it without the love and support of my beloved family.

Now I'm not saying cause I want people to feel sorry for me. I'm doing great. My memory isn't good, but I'm feeling great. :o) I'm sharing because I want everyone to know what an AWESOME husband (and family of course- but this blog is about my Knight) God has blessed me with. For my surgeries, there was talk about shaving my head. Sinful that I am, I was concerned of how I would look. My Knight told me, he loves me with or without hair. Not many would say that and mean it. I know he meant it. He took care of cleaning my incisions. He washed my hair, well... what was left of it. LOL! He slept with me on the couch, cause I couldn't sleep in our bed. He was there for me EVERY step of the way. Why? Because he was committed to me. Because he loves me. Because he's a man of his word. Because he loves God and made a covenant with Him and me.

Our children have grown up seeing his example. Our Fair Maiden's future husbands have big shoes to fill. Not that they have to be like my Knight, but he surely has raised the expectations. My prayer is that our Fair Maidens be more blessed than I have been (if that's possible) and that our Squires be a blessing to their spouse. May my Squires be just as blessed too.

Twenty six years ago we made a commitment to one another. We were kids then. We've grown up together. We have honored those commitments and will continue to keep our covenant. God has truly blessed us. I keep thinking, this is the best , it can't get any better than this... but it has and it will continue to get better. My cup runneth over...

No comments: