Monday, April 7, 2008

Parents PLEASE Teach You Sons!

If you are a frequent visitor of my other blog: A Glance Into My World, please be warned that I posted this same message on both blogs. I felt lead to post it twice. Not everyone visits both blogs.

Let me start of by saying that I KNOW that parents ALSO need to teach their daughters. But I'm writing about the "sons" today. Because I'm getting sick and tired of hearing how rude and cruel some young men are. YES, I know that young ladies are too! But like I said, I'm focusing on the young men today. URGH!!!!!!!

Mom's we need to do a better job of teaching our sons how to treat girls. I'm saying moms, because we are their primary influence when they are young. Now, dad's you need to step up to the plate and show you sons how to treat young ladies. I say this to you, because once your sons are older, they need to be mentored by you, a grandfather, an uncle, a male church member, a caring neighbor or another "positive" male role model.

Soaring Amongst The Clouds has tennis twice a week at her school. Today the young man that made the rude comment last week, made another comment. *READ PREVIOUS POST HERE*He rolled up his short as high as they could go. The teacher asked him teasingly, "What are you doing? Roll those down they are too short." He replied, "Well, Soaring Amongst The Clouds wears short shorts." My Fair Maiden has the longest shorts in class!" She just couldn't believe that he was calling attention to her shorts and being singled out. Our Fair Maidens are modest. Ok, they don't wear turtle necks or skirts that touch the floor, but they are very modest. Not just in what they wear, but in how they speak and act. URGH!!!!! Now their mama, is another story. I want to go over there right now and wring that young man's neck!

As soon our dad gets home she's going to talk to him and see what if anything she can do about him. He's just giving her a hard time. She has tried ignoring him but that doesn't seem to discourage him.

My mom use to tell my brother, "You need to treat a girl like she's a rose petal. Treat them delicately." She told him this throughout his growing years. He died at 19, but let me tell you, girls LOVED him. I was 7 years his senior and my sister was 6 years his senior. Even so, you would think, poor guy, he didn't stand a chance. He did. He had charm, charisma and people were drawn to him.

I know that not everyone is like that, but we can teach our sons to be polite. To think before they speak. To be gentlemen. To help out and not sit there while a lady is trying to juggle bags. Moms need to give their sons opportunities to be young men. Let them help you carry the bags. Let them open the doors for you. Have them take the kitchen trash bags outside. Allow them to do "outdoor" work. They can weed, water the plants, cut the grass (if they are old enough). Give them the responsibility to take care of your indoor or outdoor pets. Allow them to clean your car, inside and out. Once they are old enough, allow them to pump the gas for you when your car needs gas. When you make the menu for the week, give him the opportunity to pick a couple of dinners for you too cook. These are only some ideas of what a mom can do to help their sons along.

Dad's there is so much you can do. One of the most important thing you can do is to LOVE and RESPECT your wife. This will set an example for him. When your wife gets home with the groceries, help her carry the bags. Better yet, carry the bags while she puts all the items away. When you are fixing the car, have your son help you. When you are doing yard work, get him involved. If you are working in the garage, let him give you a hand. If you are going to the hardware store or auto shop take him along. Spend time with him. Make sure he hears you edifying your wife.

Ladies, if you are divorced, I know it would be a little more difficult if dad isn't around. Allow the grandfather to be involved in his mentoring. If that is not a good idea, maybe a neighbor who has a son the same age or a church member. I knew this family who's dad had passed away. The mom had two young daughters and a young son (they were all under 10). The men of the church stepped up and mentored the young son. They included him in outings. They would invite him to baseball and basketball games. They taught him how to play ball. What a testimony all those men were to this family.

*NOTE: I'm not just saying this to moms and dads out there. This is ALSO a reminder to myself and my Knight. I know that it's sometimes easier for us just to "do it" ourselves. It takes TIME to show our children to "do things". But it's TIME WELL spent.

The most important thing parents can do is to PRAY for you sons. Let me share my prayer with you. You don't have to pray what I pray, but it's some of what I pray for my Squires. Oh, I pray this over my Knight too. ;o) This is in no particular order...

* for divine protection and perfect health
* That all behavior born out of hurt, rejection, or negative emotions/responses be healed
* Give him discernment, wisdom, knowledge, understanding, anointing, revelation, vision, faith and favor
* Create a desire and passion for God above all other things, wife and family next
* May he be a man giving of time, energy and prayer with accountability and follow through
* That he be man who submits, listens and obeys God with an insatiable hunger and thirst for God's Word, God's presence, and God's plans
* Search and know his heart, expose what is not pleasing and drive it from him
* Establish integrity in him, and guard his heart, mind and spirit with truth
* Give him courage to walk in that integrity too
* For his education, future mate, marriage, future children and generations to follow

Please keep in mind this is SOME of what I pray. The Lord will lead you differently. I did not "come up" with my prayer on my own. I'm not gifted with words. LOL! I learned from other moms and God leads me in my prayers. There are times that I think, "Wow, where did that come from? Cause that certainly isn't something I would say." Amazing how, when you open up to Him, He just fills you up.

I guess, I'm just trying to say, please remember your son is hearing and watching you. Be a positive example, not just for your's but others are watching too. Who knows, you could make a difference in someone's life.

No comments: